Registrarse

[Otros] FR | Fire Red Saveblock Expansion

FBI

Usuario de platino
Expanded Save block

Hello, hopefully everyone is doing well. Lately I released a Dexnav implementation that required you to have a saveblock hack installed. It came to my attention that JPAN's hack was the only real one, and the source code seems to be lost. Additionally if you have 800+ Pokemon in your game, extended flags +vars, bags, and whatever other features that relied on save RAM, then this save ram isn't enough!

The old saveblock hack by JPAN reserved 3780 bytes of save RAM by compressing the game saveblocks closer together and using the space at the end of the block. The idea was really well thought out, and JPAN has my respect for implementing it during the older days of ROM Hacking. I've taken this great idea and added on another 8160 bytes to use, for a total of 11940 bytes. This still leaves about 3200 bytes of FireRed's help menu VRAM buffer still free incase you used it as disposable RAM. The hack is done by scrapping two sectors reserved for E-Reader and Mystery Gift/Trainer tower.

The Ereader feature isn't present in EM, and I don't think anyone will really miss the Mystery Gift/Trainer tower features as I haven't seen any hacks making use of it. The source code is available here: https://github.com/EternalCode/Save_Expansion

Patch: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5g2qfkat6kaykd0/fbi_save_expansion.ups/file

Notes

- The saveblock starts from 0x0203B174 and ends at 0x0203E018, for 11940 bytes.

- This hack is compatible with JPAN's saveblock hack. He hooked into functions, I rewrote them so there should be nothing to remove. My hack will just replace his. As always make a back up.

- This hack takes up 0x6D4 bytes currently. The patch will insert it at 09700000. Compile from source to freely change insertion location.

Credits
- Please include JPAN in your credits for his idea
- Pret team for their research

Jaizu

Usuario mítico
Respuesta: Fire Red Saveblock Expansion

Pret team doing really good and FBI is back, I'm sure Rom Hacking is serious bussiness now.

Thanks for the tutorial sir, very much appreciated.

Gold

Porrero a tiempo parcial
Miembro insignia

Well. even though I am not using expanded Pokedex I find this really useful for my project. I just have a question. I already applied the JPAN save block and applied the flag and var expansion routines. Will there be a problem if I apply this hack into my project?

FBI

Usuario de platino

Pret team doing really good and FBI is back, I'm sure Rom Hacking is serious bussiness now.

Thanks for the tutorial sir, very much appreciated.
Thanks. I'm out of ideas to work on unfortunately though :x

Well. even though I am not using expanded Pokedex I find this really useful for my project. I just have a question. I already applied the JPAN save block and applied the flag and var expansion routines. Will there be a problem if I apply this hack into my project?
I mentioned this in the notes section:

- This hack is compatible with JPAN's saveblock hack. He hooked into functions, I rewrote them so there should be nothing to remove. My hack will just replace his. As always make a back up.