Registrarse

[Otros] Tutorial - Easy and Secure Translation by A-Text

LiYuner

Usuario de oro
A backup of your rom hack is welcome before any changes are made. Better safe than sorry.
As many know, translating any text by A-Text can cause bugs in your rom hack.
Well, I will briefly explain why this occurs. When entering new text with a number of characters greater than your original, A-Text will
repoint that text in a new location. The problem is that A-Text will insert the new data in locations with 00's, which as we well know
locations with 00's usually dealt with midi's, sprites, map data, etc; so A-Text ended up pasting the new data on top of these locations,
so the rom would get bugged at some point, and in some cases it would give an error when trying to be emulated. To try to avoid
such a thing, go to the A-Text's "inis" folder and then open the settings.ini file. When you get there, you'll see something like this:
[Settings]
FreeSpaceOffset=7072148
WarningShown=True

This number, 7072148, is in decimal and converting to hex will give us this: 6BE994. In short, A-Text will start looking for free space from
this offset to insert new data. In order not to extend the matter too much, you will need to replace this offset with another one. For my
everyday use I set the following offset in my A-Text:
[Settings]
FreeSpaceOffset=15728640
WarningShown=True

That is, my A-Text will start inserting new data from the offset F00000. I know that there is no content,
just data with FF's that are safe to use, as you well know.
To convert hex number to decimal, use the Windows calculator, the XSE calculator or any other online calculator.

In short, this change will provide a relatively safe translation by A-Text, as long as you set the offset correctly in settings.ini.
I've done countless tests on my rom hack and I haven't come across any bugs.
Good luck, and good rom hacking and translation.