Registrarse

[C] ROM hacking with C

FBI

Usuario de platino
Getting started (setup)

Hello, I'm FBI and I'm writing this tutorial as an update to an old tutorial I wrote on PC. This tutorial is meant to be read by those who have hacked for a while now. Enough to be comfortable with concepts like scripting, repointing, and pointers in general. I will try to explain things as simply as possible, but the fact of the matter is, a forum post is a poor

Before starting anything, we need to download the dependencies which we'll use to compile our code into the ROM.

Some of these dependancies like Python and Devkitarm you may already have from compiling other projects like Mega Evolutions. The above should take roughly 10 minutes to set up properly. The important part is to make sure you've updated your path variables.

Adding something to your path variable (Windows)

This is an example of how to manually add ARMIPs to your window's path variable. You can apply this to other programs as well.

Press the Windows key, and type in "system environment variables". There should be one utility to edit them.
Pressing the circled button will open up the second window. On the bottom part of the second window, find the path variable:
Press edit, then go to the end of that path and type, ";The/Path/To/ARMIPS".
After that, hit the "New" option, which was next to the edit option.
and fill in the fields. One very important thing to note, is that the armips.exe file must be contained inside a folder called ARMIPS (not case sensitive).

Future lesson chapters

- TODO -
I plan to rewrite my live lesson archives to post format eventually after their completion. Until then, you can join the discord channel and attend live sessions/review past sessions there. If you've completed the getting started portion of this tutorial:

Server: https://discord.gg/DjE5QUV

Any questions regarding the installation process, I can answer here. Also it would be helpful to find someone who can translate these lesson eventually!

Berserker1523

2-Intentando discernir qué es lo más importante...
wow, this see incredible! i didnt know can hacking pokemon games with these program languages!, pls write all tutorials!

If someone can translate this i agree much :v notese el nivel basico de ingles (Tal vez ni entendí lo que quiere decir el tutorial y es algo diferente de lo que pienso xD)

FBI

Usuario de platino
wow, this see incredible! i didnt know can hacking pokemon games with these program languages!, pls write all tutorials!

If someone can translate this i agree much :v notese el nivel basico de ingles (Tal vez ni entendí lo que quiere decir el tutorial y es algo diferente de lo que pienso xD)
Yes, it's unfortunate that I cannot speak in Spanish so the discord things are probably not very useful to most people. Once it's transferred to archived text, perhaps it will allow people to translate easier.

KevinXDE

Usuario mítico
Interesting tutorial ^^.I hate discord but I must do an exception this time for this xD. There are a few things I want to do with C in my hack in the future. I know programming, but I feel Iike ROM-Hacking with C is quite, let's say, different, from what I've seen before.

It's pretty late in here, so I'll probably go around that server tomorrow to see what's in there. I still haven't tried this part, as I'm on mobile, though.

Also, if you're still in need of someone who can translate the tutorial, I could do it. Just let me know :p